- Replacing your windows is one of the best home remodeling projects to recoup the expense if you decide to sell. You could see up to an 80% recoup in the cost put into the windows when you go to sell.
- Replacement windows also increase the overall value of your home. Value equals equity. Having extra equity on hand could come in handy for your next major home improvement project or unexpected expense.
- You will see a difference in your energy bill once you have your current old, drafty windows replaced with energy-efficient ones. The amount of your savings will depend on the size of your house, how well insulated your house is, your climate, and how many windows you replaced, but there will be a difference. Typically, the higher the grade of window, the higher the savings.
- Windows with “Low-E” glazing are more energy efficient than ones without as the Low-E windows are better able to reflect solar energy than absorb it. Often, you will find replacement windows that contain the Low-E glazing and are gas-filled.
- Vinyl replacement windows are one of the most popular choices for homeowners due to their durability, low maintenance, color offerings, and overall good energy efficiency. There are other materials that energy-efficient windows come in, which could be a consideration for particular climates or specific looks, but overall, vinyl is the most popular.
You should also consider the newer composite windows now available.
- Windows are made differently, even among energy-efficient ones. Examine the Energy Star ratings and the description of the windows you are considering to make sure they will be the right fit for your home-remodeling project. The National Fenestration Rating Council can help you decide what type is best.
Major projects like replacement windows can be daunting for homeowners due to the expense. However, replacing your old, drafty, leaking windows with quality energy-efficient ones is one of the best decisions you can make.
Today, Architectural shingles are the most popular type, replacing the old 3-Tab style.
The First Step: A Free Quote
When researching roofers, find out if they are willing to provide a no-cost inspection and estimate. If one of the business’s representatives is not willing to drive to your home to examine your roof in an attempt to secure your business, move on to one who will. Do not settle for an inspection that is conducted by phone or through pictures sent via e-mail. A roofer worth his salt will show up for an in-person inspection to provide a true estimate.
Insurance Is a Must
If a potential roofer lacks the appropriate insurance, cross him off your list immediately. High-quality roofing contractors carry liability insurance to protect their laborers. Furthermore, the roofer should have workers’ compensation insurance to boot. If you were to hire a roofer that lacks such forms of insurance, you might be liable for expenses stemming from an on-site accident. Examples of such expenses include laborers’ medical bills and even lost wages. Do not be afraid to ask for documentation to prove that the insurance actually exists.
A License Is Also Necessary
Your roofer must be licensed to perform roofing work within the state of Connecticut.
Roofing materials are quite sturdy, yet they will not last forever. It is imperative that you find out if a potential roofer uses materials that are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. Verify that the warranty exists before the work actually starts. Take the extra step by making a copy of the warranty for your personal files just in case the roofing materials falter sooner than expected.
Sweat the Small Stuff
Request that each prospective contractor put the details of your roofing project in writing. The days of honoring one’s word through a handshake agreement are long gone. A roofer that puts all of the project’s details on paper along with a signature will be legally obligated to honor such written promises. This way, you won’t be on the hook if a problem arises. The written agreement should contain information like the project’s total cost, the length of the project and the types of materials that will be used.
Every home is going to need a new roof at some point or another, and if yours has asphalt shingles, that time is going to come sooner rather than later.
There are definite signs that your roof may be ready for replacement too. Things like missing shingles, leaking in the attic after it rains, and curled shingle edges are all signs that your roof is coming to the end of its service life. So when it comes to this point in time, here are some things to consider.
Shingle Roofing Materials
- Asphalt Shingles — Shingles are the most common type of roofing material, and most of them are of the asphalt variety. In general, depending on what type of shingle you get, they’ll last between 20 and 50 years on your roof. Asphalt shingles have been the most popular method of roofing material for over 100 years, and they are a very cost effective solution.
- Fiberglass — Fiberglass are a variety of shingle that infuses fiberglass particles into the asphalt. This type of shingle is nailed on the same way as an asphalt shingle, and although they cost more per square, the best ones come with a lifetime warranty.
- Tile — These shingles are made of ceramic, and have a life span of about 50 years.
- Concrete and Slate — These types of roof shingles are made of either cement, in the case of concrete shingles, or natural stone, in the case of a slate shingle. Concrete will last about 50 years, while most slate shingles will last well over 100 years. However, these are the heaviest type of roofing material made, so your roof structure must be able to support them.
Alternate Roofing Materials
- Rolled Roofing — This is a roll of asphalt shingle-like material that is, literally, rolled over your roof and nailed down. Although easy to apply, it only has a lifespan of about 5 years.
- Metal Roofing Panels — These panels of metal can either be made of galvanized steel or stainless steel, and they come in a flattened shape or a corrugated shape. They are expensive but relatively easy to apply, and they can last for upwards of 100 years or more.
- Membrane Roofing — Made either of rubber or PVC plastic, this type of roofing is rolled into place and nailed or screwed down. Depending upon the type of membrane that is installed, the lifespan can range from 15 years to over 30 years.
Choosing a Contractor
Do your homework here. Locate and find references for the work that has already been done, and get an estimate for the work that you have planned. A reputable contractor will go a long way to helping you get the type of roof you want at the price that you can afford.
Of course, for hassle free roofing, contact Sidetex. We have the experience and the know how to help you select the roofing material and the installation that is right for you, no matter what your price range is.
Home siding is available in a myriad of styles and profiles to serve anyone’s designer eye and personality. When considering popular siding types and manufacturers for your remodel or new home construction, bear in mind that the siding you choose will affect home value, curb appeal, your energy budget and comfort for years or decades.
Additionally, consider the siding’s life-cycle costs, which encompass installation, maintenance, repairs, replacement, energy efficiency and the dealer and manufacturer warranties. These elements of home cladding are the true scope of your investment, which are characterized by the quality and cost-effectiveness of Everlast composite siding.
To help you get started, read through the following characteristics of popular siding options available today, and you’ll see why Everlast composite siding is the best and next generation of siding on the market, offered exclusively to Connecticut homeowners by Sidetex.
Everlast Composite Siding
Three of the leading home siding options are composite, vinyl and fiber cement. These materials share similar advantages and characteristics, offering an array of beautiful colors and designs and resistance to harsh elements. Though, not all siding products are created equal, of course, which affects your pocketbook, valuable time and the appearance of your home.
Composite siding is manufactured from a mixture of granular stone and polymeric resin. There are no wood products in Everlast composite siding, which would render it prone to moisture damage that fiber cement suffers. In fact, granular stone and polymeric resin give composite siding its trademark strength and endurance when weather conditions take a turn for the worst in our New England region.
Everlast composite siding is more than 500% thicker than vinyl siding, which is flimsy and can easily crack. Additionally, Everlast composite siding holds its color-fastness for life due to the colored-through durable materials — no painting required!
Styles, Colors and Profiles
With the array of colors and rich textures to choose from, you may find it difficult (but fun) trying to decide which colors, designs and profiles are right for your home. Better yet, custom design your own Everlast siding colors and design.
Would you like the look of cedar shingles for your home without the demanding upkeep? How about a combination of profiles, such as wood-look composite siding accented with shakes in the front and back dormers and turrets. Lower your energy bills and boost your comfort with built-in form-fit insulation. When you choose Everlast siding for your home, the possibilities are endless!
Strength and Durability Are Warranted
Many siding manufacturers back their products with warranties. Though, few manufacturers offer lifetime and transferable warranties covering damage caused by color fading, hail impacts, snow, fierce winds and more.
Everlast composite siding provides such comprehensive coverage, which helps fill in the gaps or “fine print” of many homeowner insurance policies. When you partner with Sidetex, there is no fine print — only the finest products and service!
For more information about the benefits of choosing Everlast composite siding for your Connecticut home, please contact the home cladding experts at Sidetex today.
Bathroom remodeling can be quite exciting, however they can be quite overwhelming and expensive without a proper plan in place. You can refresh the decor effortlessly with an elegant makeover which not only adds style and panache to your bathroom but also improves its functionality. Studies have shown that bathroom remodeling projects have provided high resale returns along with improved comfort and luxury.
Research on the latest trends and style which suits your style and budget. There would be several items on your checklist that should include shower, sink, faucets, shower heads, bathtub, mirrors, shower doors etc.
Style, Design and Functionality
There are several important factors to consider like the paint color, choice of tiles, vanities, tubs etc. Depending on your bathroom remodeling design, you can shop around to choose the best combination and create magic with your ingenuity, innovation and creativity.
There are myriad choices for the bathroom flooring, however it is usually recommended to choose ceramic, stone or marble tiles which offer high durability and water resistant features. The two most important criterion for bathroom flooring are durability and slip-resistant features.
A bathroom remodeling project is incomplete without adequate lighting that is both functional and elegant.
Choosing the best cabinets, shelves and storage space can be quite tricky and challenging because you would need to fit them all into the limited available space without making the space look too cluttered.
Use of stylish Mirrors
Use of mirrors would make the bathroom look even more spacious and beautiful. You can supplement your attractive sink with a beautifully framed mirror.
Apart from the already available regular shades, you can use combinations like blue with brown, green with magenta etc. Wall tiles are available with bespoke designs and paintings which makes the bathroom space look very natural while at the same time adding a personalized touch to the remodeling project.
Use of skilled labor
The DIY approach can be quite useful for several other things, however a bathroom remodeling project definitely needs professional experience and expertise to ensure flawless installations and longevity. Choose on the best contractors with up-to-date license and insurance.
Extremely important for removing any excess humidity that makes the floors slippery, and boosts the growth of mildew and mold. The bathroom vent and closet fan should exhaust air and moisture to the outside.
There are several budget friendly green options for your bathroom remodeling project like low flow toilet, no VOC paints, and vanities made from harvested wood.
There are wide assortments of modern bathroom layouts and design tailored to suit your life style, personal preferences and budget. In case you need guidance, you seen experts’ advise to help you select the best one.
- Energy Efficiency: The energy efficiency of windows is represented in terms of U-Value (I.e> the insulating glass) and SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coeffecient) and Air Infiltration. With technology upgrades, high performing windows have glass coated with Low-E microscopic film which improves thermal performance and blocks harmful UV rays. By reducing heat loss in winters and by using reflective glass in summers, you can ensure substantial energy savings.
- Aesthetics: Windows dictate the appearance of the house both from inside as well as outside. There are different factors like the shape, size, style, color,clarity and material of glass which needs to be considered while choosing the right windows.
- Functionality: The chosen window style must ensure smooth operations. There are various different styles of windows; including double hung, casement, sliders,awning, picture and bay and bow among others. Depending on your requirements, choice and preferences, choose the most appropriate window style.
- Location: While choosing the right window for your home, you also need to consider which direction your windows will face depending on the ventilation and sunlight it would be exposed to.
- Maintenance: Use of maintenance free vinyl or fiberglass composite clading would ensure that your windows would look beautiful for many years to come. Also, there be easy cleaning options available to ensure clean and beautiful windows.
- Budget: A good quality window should offer decades of performance, energy savings and brilliant aesthetics. Also, one should never compromise quality for low price. Choosing windows for your home is a long term investment which guarantees complete value for your money.
- Window Installation: Installing the window requires professional expertise and skill, which is why it is recommended to seek professional help who can ensure flawless installation.
- Personal Choice: The style of window frame, and choice of other accessories such as grilles, insulating blinds etc should be able to reflect your personal taste and preference.
- The glazing material: There are endless options available for window panes in homes which include Low E (Low Emisivity glass, with Argon or even more energy efficient Krypton gas) reflective glass.
- Window frames: The Window frames are available in myriad materials which include vinyl, wood, aluminum and fiberglass or fiberglass composite.
Low cost options while choosing the right windows for your new or remodeled home includes caulking, plastic sheets, weather stripping, storm windows etc. These may only prove to stop gap measures.
In case of profile extrusion process, the number of variables involved is usually increased by a factor of two because of a complex die design for each profile and a calibration segment to cool off the extrudate. Manufacture of drinking straws and medical tubing makes use of the same profile extrusion process until the introduction of the die.
For specific applications, there may be a need to have multiple holes in the tubing structure. The profile extrusion process involves tools which are made using more than one pin placed at the center of the die to produce the necessary number of holes. These pins are then exposed to air pressure from different sources which also helps in adjusting the size of individual lumens by aligning the required air pressure. Common problems associated with the use of profile extrusion process includes aesthetic flaws, size variance and dimensional variations.
Pipes and Tubing
There are several product categories which make use of the profile extrusion process. Pipes and Tubing are manufactured using profile extrusion process and usually classified differently because of their specific requirements and large volume. For both of them, the cross section is round, however the wall thickness and diameter depends on the requirement. Generally, pipes are characterized with a thicker and rigid wall, whereas tubes are the ones with a hollow round profile and a flexible wall.
Vinyl siding is extruded as a flat sheet using profile extrusion process which also guarantees better performance and higher output rates. One of the best examples of complex profiles is the window profile which includes the creation of frames, sash and other profiles. The structural strength, reliability and thermal performance depends largely on the multiple lumens on the interior parts of the window profiles. For fencing, hollow structures made as boards, posts or pickets can be built to ensure highest standards of structural strength.
Miscellaneous (gutters, downspouts, refrigerator seals, electrical conduit, etc.)
There are endless possibilities of product categories which make use of plastic profile extrusion process. Some of the most common product categories which makes use of the profile extrusion process includes Agricultural land drainage tubing, Gutters and downspouts, Refrigerator seals, the zip strip on re-sealable plastic bags, Electrical conduit, dip tubes used in aerosols and many more.
There aren’t too many feelings as great as working in a kitchen that makes fantastic use of space. It’s the difference between cooking because you have to and cooking because you want to. It’s the difference between getting on a highway on a spring day with the windows down and going full speed non-stop to your destination or coming off the ramp straight into a stop-and-go traffic mess.
Space is a big part of this feeling, however, and let’s face it – it’s easy to start to feel crowded once pans, cutting boards, knives, and ingredients start hitting the kitchen counter. If you’re finding yourself spending more time looking for kitchen counter space these days than cooking, then read on!
We learned a very important lesson when we started building buildings that had more than one floor: You don’t always have to build out. You can build up! The same idea applies to the space in your kitchen.
Kitchen stores, organizer stores, and designers are finding new and incredibly innovative ways to stack items and store them vertically rather than spread out across a surface. Drawers, nets, and custom structures built onto the kitchen counter itself can all be used to store goods, utensils, and even appliances.
At the same time, a well-mounted rack or other hanging storage solution can be used above you to keep vertical storage from walling off your counter. Pots, pans, and other larger cooking implements can be suspended above you while more commonly-used items can be stored at arm’s length on the kitchen counter itself.
Walls Aren’t Just for Pictures
A sturdy wall rack can be used to move a ton of items off of your counters and into a more useful space. These racks provide a functional, but also visually appealing, way to store pans, knives, glassware, cooking utensils, and countless other items. When partnered with a keen eye for design, the end effect is one that creates a welcoming space but also declares that food preparation is taken seriously here. A kitchen should be a place of comfort, but, don’t be afraid to take some pride in the foodie in you as well!
Know When to Buy New
Much like the beat up, old sweater you refuse to get rid of because it’s just so comfortable, sometimes things just reach the end of their functional life span. Kitchen counters can be the same way. You can try all of the tricks in the book to make it work in your space but sometimes you just have to tear it out of there, thank it for everything it has helped you prepare over the years, and replace it.
A well-stocked home improvement store, like Sidetex, will have the inventory to give you the choices you need and the staff to help guide your decision. We can also help with any preliminary planning. Projects like these can be intimidating – we know that as well as anyone! But we’re here to help you make the most of the space you have with the budget that you have available.
Contact us today to speak with a member of our sales staff or to make an appointment to discuss some design options!
A home or building owner who is looking to renovate, remodel, redesign must be careful with what products they use. While the low price option is convenient, it may not provide the longevity, and quality that other options may provide. Seeking a perfect fit in terms of quality, appearance, beauty, and most importantly, longevity, can be tricky, and one must understand the importance of considering all the possibilities. Of course, finding a product which satisfies all of your needs and desires is something that, of course, all companies seek to provide to the customer.
Of course, another important thought a homeowner must keep in his or her mind is that replacing a home’s siding is not something they should want to do frequently. Of course, the aesthetic aspect of siding can be easily modified with a fresh paint job or even just via external factors, such as landscaping or window replacement. However, the siding itself is not something that ought to be replaced terribly often. The problem here, lies in the fact that many brands of siding are not capable of lasting a large amount of time, particularly not in harsher environments, where they are subject to rain, snow, wind, heat, etc. This means that finding the right siding is vital to making a home perfect. This is where Everlast siding comes in. It’s really just in the name.Everlast siding is built to last long, no matter what mother nature decides to throw at it.
Not only can this siding resist the elements better than the competition, but it can also help the entire structure of the house. A homeowner can save up to fifty percent on his or her heating and cooling bill with this siding, as it more efficiently seals the gaps that may leak out heat or cool air. In effect, Everlast siding is an investment not only in longevity, but also in good housekeeping. The effect can be gargantuan, as the continued ability to keep a home at a desired temperature year after year means comfort, happiness, security, and peace of mind.
Considering finding durable, long-lasting siding when renovating a home is highly important, and the options can be confusing. Finding what’s right for a particular home can be something of a nightmare at times. Thankfully for the homeowner, Side Tex is here to help with their friendly customer service, wealth of experience, and immense desire to help people keep their dreams in sight.